3D mask making experience

Our final design that we want to apply on our mask, had a lot of  3D aspects to it, especially the hat. For part 1 of the hat we had to make the base, margot did this and she did this using  chicken wire and thin bendable cardboard to support it, and to secure it using paper maché. That is what the base looked like when it was done being painted. (below)

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 18.12.26                 Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 18.12.37

Then when that was done we painted it yellow, in order to do this we had to first paint the base white to make sure that the newspaper did not shine through, then after that we had to paper mache it to the mask and when that was dry paint it all yellow as seen below.

11005728_841941045879709_1482394032_n11005648_841941065879707_2143184866_n

After that we had to make the hat which, was part 2 of the hat, the hat had to go on top of the base. The hat needed to be made out of chicken wire and it took about 3 lesson to get it done. To start it off Nathalie cut out the necessary amount of chicken wire and used pliers to make sure all the pieces were connected together, after that I had to cut out a base for the hat out of cardboard and attach the base to the hat using the poking out wires from the bottom of the finished hat and poking them into the cardboard. This was quite hard because every time I poked one side in the other would come back. In the end my teacher helped me out by doing this step. After this I paper mached the hat as seen below.

11007578_841941059213041_838768185_n

Once this was done I started painting the hat white so the red stripes could then be added. Once the red stripes are added I can hot glue the finished hat the base on the mask. Once I have finished the hat I can start doing the little details, such as the sign post. I will do this b painting a line in the middle of the mask and making it into a sign post saying Mulberry ST. Then I can stick the star from the sneetches and other stories onto the mask and do the cat nose and the turtle lips. To do this I have to paint a light pink base colour for the nose and a light green base colour for the lips and once that is dry go over with the darker colours to show depth. I can then use wire to create the whiskers by using a thumbtack to poke a hole into the mask and add painted wire (black, wite and brown) and secure it in the back of the mask. Then I can stick a page from the book to think I saw it on mulberry street to a piece of white painted cardboard to make it look like it is a book and hot glue it onto the mask.

11004165_841941092546371_596601869_n

To show depth on the face we are going to be using the lips and the cat nose to do it. The skills we will use to make the face have depth is to paint a light pink base colour for the nose and a light green base colour for the lips and once that is dry go over with the darker colours of them leaving gaps to achieve depth.

There have been some challenges converting our design from 2D to 3D, the hat was definitely one of them it took Nathalie along time (3 lessons) to do it and achieve the shape because the hat is very big/tall and so it took a long time to make sure all the chicken wire was connected properly and stable. Overall it was not that hard to convert our design from 2D to 3D because we have both worked with chicken wire before and are both quite experienced with making 3D models due to various art/school projects that we have done over the past couple years.

Process of Making a Mask

Starting making this mask was very stressful for us since both of us didn’t want to be the model. I (Margot) ended up being the model and it is an experience that I don’t regret. Not every moments in making this mask were very easy since I couldn’t sit still and the mask did not always feel good on my face. Although in the end it was worth it because we ended up with a beautiful mask that is very nice to work with and decorate to illustrate our chosen artist.

I (Nathalie) have made a mask before, which is why I did not want to be the model, I wanted to be able to make the mask as I have experienced it before. Making the mask on Margot was difficult, she kept moving and wanted the mask to come off. She did get used to it in the end and I was able to finish the mask. The only problem was I was not able to properly do the lips as she was laughing in between and it changed the lip shape on the mask.

The first step to making our mask was to cut the plaster into square pieces. That was very easy and did not take long.

The second step was to start applying the first layer of plaster. To do this we had to wet the cut out plaster pieces and stick them down by rubbing the piece onto Margot’s face.

photo 1

The third step was adding the second layer of plaster on Margot’s face. This was done the same way as the second step, the plaster was wetted rubbed onto the first layer of plaster.

photo 2

The fourth step was to add the third layer of plaster on Margot’s face. Done with wet plaster that was rubbed in. We did not wait until the under layer was dry we just added it onto the previous layers.

Now after this we left it to dry, so we could papier mache it next week. After a week of drying we started the papier mache to do this we had to cut out squared pieces of newspaper.

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 17.25.43

After that we used glue to stick the pieces over the plaster, we made sure the whole mask was covered and was strong enough and ready to be painted.

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 17.28.51Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 17.33.39

This picture shoes what are mask looked like after we followed all these steps.